Department: UL - Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Multicultural Education (ODIME)
Assistant Director for Outreach and Marketing
The George Mason University Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Multicultural Education (ODIME) invites applications for an Assistant Director for Outreach and Marketing. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Reporting to the Associate Director, the Assistant Director for Community Outreach and Marketing will develop and support programs that increase the visibility and awareness of ODIME and George Mason University. This position will increase collaborative opportunities for campus and community outreach between the Mason community and the northern Virginia, District of Columbia, and Maryland region. The incumbent will be knowledgeable of marketing and design, media outreach, community resources, and best practices in establishing sustainable community/university partnerships. This individual will work closely with students, to include championing the success of historically marginalized individuals. Duties include:
- Assess community outreach needs on and off campus, and create opportunities for collaborative programming and research;
- Collaborate with University Life and academic colleagues to provide ongoing education and support for institutional diversity initiatives and cultural competency workshops and trainings;
- Encourage collaboration between student groups and academic departments to enhance/create sustainable partnerships and programs;
- Create a comprehensive marketing and outreach platform for the office, to include establishing ongoing relationships with relevant media agencies;
- Supervise student staff in the management of all media outreach, including websites, marketing materials, and social media platforms;
- Maintain a departmental events calendar and produce comprehensive calendars for broader events, such as heritage month programming, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Week, etc.; and
- Establish a network of campus/community partners for the promotion of ODIME events.
- An earned master's degree in marketing, communications, higher education, counseling, social work, education, or a related field;
- The flexibility to work evening and weekend hours as needed;
- Strong interpersonal communication, community building, and organizational skills; and
- Interest in working with diverse student populations and community members.
- Experience working with undergraduate students on a college campus;
- Expertise in editing, writing, and media relations;
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations and/or community agencies;
- Experience establishing/maintaining community partnerships; and
- Two to three years full-time work experience.
Salary: Competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package, relocation assistance, and opportunities for professional development.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA14Ez at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter stating interest and relevant experience, resume/CV, and a list of three professional references with contact information. Applications submitted by April 24, 2017, will receive priority consideration. Positions will remain open until filled. Questions about a position or the application process may be directed to email@example.com.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.