The Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce (CMCC) in Charleston, SC is seeking a fulltime Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) to lead the organization in data-driven insights that strategically achieve the CMCC’s goals, design the right strategies and processes that carry out the vision in a multichannel world, and is the organizational glue that delivers change. This position will be required to use digitally-enabled tools and processes, differentiate the Member experience and build tighter Member relationships, and connect Marketing with the entire organization. This individual is analytical and creative, and utilizes their extensive knowledge in a variety of disciplines such as production, information technology, legal, and finance to cohesively partner with other departments in achieving the CMCC’s goals. While a member of the Executive Team and reporting to the President & CEO, the CMO also leads the Marketing team within the Operations Group of the CMCC.
PLEASE NOTE: The Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce is a non-profit, membership association. To be successful in our organization, the CMO will need to be a mission-driven individual who seeks to serve the community. The top candidate will truly market themselves in this process by demonstrating their quality and insightful marketing knowledge on their own behalf. Also, as you can see in the below description, this role does not have a direct Business Development/Sales function, and instead is a heavy concentration of Marketing and Leadership expertise to support all of the Chamber, including our Membership/Sales/Fund Development team. Please guide us on how those specific aspects of your career would benefit this organization.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the CMO is responsible for:
1. Discover data-driven insights that drive growth. The CMO is to develop clear, meaningful insights into the market and the Member decision journey.
a. Partner with the Chamber’s Center for Business Research in identifying, expanding, and measuring analytics around the Member experience
b. Partner in developing organizational capability to act on the analytical data to drive membership engagement
c. Create a Marketing Return on Investment (MROI)
d. Translate Member data to meaningful insights for senior leadership
2. Design the right strategies and processes to carry out the vision in a multichannel world
a. Implement a well-designed process of Member interaction based on a clear understanding of the Member’s needs and the capabilities of the staff
b. Utilize Profit & Loss Statement knowledge to partner with other departments in driving revenue
c. Design and run the Marketing department as a Center of Excellence, inclusive of digital activity, to advise and support the other Chamber departments in serving the right information to the right person at the right place and time.
3. Become the organizational “glue” to deliver change
a. Partner with the Senior Staff, beginning with the President and CEO and the COO (who oversees HR), to drive internal change with all Chamber staff
b. Motivate all staff and command the pace of change
c. Partner with Chamber leadership to provide a consistent member journey across all touchpoints of an organization
d. Utilize a “conversation” approach to member engagement, not a “tell” approach
e. Be the Integrator of the Core Values for all staff
f. Be the Attractor whom others will join in following the vision and the aspirations set out
Additional Duties that support the above responsibilities:
1. Create and refine an annual Marketing plan, progression of the plan, and lead the Marketing team in executing the plan to completion.
2. Develop and implement a digital communications strategy via mobile platforms, video and social media.
3. Work collaboratively with co-Executive Team members on the devising, coordinating and communicating of the strategic priorities for each of their divisions/areas.
4. Provide strategic direction, set the tone, and lead the communications, marketing and visibility of Chamber initiatives and major swim lanes.
5. Work with Membership Team management on membership research and trends in order to engage the membership at the highest level.
6. Utilize a multi-channel approach in all Chamber brand development, visibility, engagement and interest in Chamber initiatives, programs and communications (regionally and nationally).
7. Enhance collaborative relationship development with other organizations and Chambers (regionally, nationally) to learn best practices and ROI in marketing and communications activities.
8. Guide and mentor the marketing team through leadership and ongoing development of the Marketing team members.
9. Serve as Chamber spokesperson along with the President & CEO, and key members of the Chamber’s Executive Team and volunteer executive leadership.
10. Continually explore professional development and cutting edge marketing/communication approaches, and communicate those ideas to the Executive Team.
11. Promote a professional image of the Chamber as the premier business organization in the region.
12. Oversee the public relations for the Chamber and assess and manage all external media relationships - press conferences, media relations, press releases, questions from media.
13. Oversee the creation and maintenance of the CMCC Newsroom, along with distribution of press releases, highlighting news, special events or new developments related to the Chamber which will have the immediate potential for constructive media coverage of the metropolitan area and beyond.
14. Supervise speech-writing support for Chamber leadership, staff and volunteers, as needed.
15. Oversee the resources to publish professional-quality articles for Chamber publications, the local media and other publications.
16. Work with national and international media to furnish accurate, timely information about Chamber-related issues and events.
17. Handle all special requests as needed.