The commercial engineer position is a consulting role within Global Sales and Marketing that provides tools and technical assistance to Rockwell Automation sales staff, partners and customers. This person is responsible for supporting the Rockwell Automation sales team with pre-sales technical consulting which includes proof of concepts, system architecture review and recommendations, customer visits, and the creation of application notes and white papers. Post-sales support will also be required at times to supplement the Technical Support organization. The individual will be responsible to support commercial opportunities utilizing appropriate resources in support of many fast paced, diverse, and challenging projects. The individual will need to demonstrate an aptitude and ability to communicate and share technical information with others. A Commercial Engineer is an application expert in an assigned group of products/technologies.
- Develops strategic solutions to address real-world customer automation problems including direct technical customer interaction.
- Create documents such as tech notes, application notes, and white papers to illustrate product usage in customer applications, some complex in nature
- Prepare technical materials, presentations and tools to improve sales force effectiveness
- Serve as a Rockwell Automation technical representative internally for product development and externally to industry associations and standards committees
- Interact with multiple businesses, peers, sales and marketing, and will be expected to cultivate these relationships.
- Participate as a member of a team including Quality Assurance, Customer Support and Product Management, to resolve post-sales product and application issues. The individual could be required to travel domestically up to 25% in support of Rockwell Automation goals and objectives such as customer visits, training and tradeshows.
- 1-2 trips per year possible for International travel.
- Undergraduate University Degree Electrical or Computer Engineering, or other related discipline
- Ability to problem solve and respond to complex and unique situations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong time management skills
- Able to work independently
- Ability to speak & write fluent English
- Highly capable of using personal computers and the appropriate applications, including but not limited to Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Project and OneNote.
- Willingness to work outside of normal working hours as needed for customer meetings or meetings with global businesses
- Demonstrated experience assisting customers with technology adoption and technical consulting
- Demonstrated experience with proof of concept programming, process system design review, application note development and system start-up support
- Ability to communicate and exchange complex information effectively to customers, peers and colleagues
- Comfort presenting to groups of people on technical topics with little to no notice
- 5 years of industry experience in manufacturing or process environment
- Advanced knowledge of Rockwell Automation products, specifically Integrated Architecture family products including: Logix Designer, Ethernet/IP, I/O, CompactLogix and ControlLogix controllers
- Technical competency with the following specific products: 1756 I/O, ControlLogix redundancy, CompactLogix hot backup, Logix Designer AOIs, AOPs, Installation, Program Parameters, Emulate, Command Line Interface Tool, Compare/Merge Tool, 5580 Controllers, 5570 Controllers, 5560 Controllers, 1794 Flex I/O
- Experience or willingness to gain experience with ControlLogix redundancy and 1715 I/O including troubleshooting methods, commissioning and specifying system requirements
- Understanding of software tools and network solutions relative to control systems.
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Diligence to develop technical solutions while considering multiple factors and variables
- Attention to detail to ensure accurate customer-facing lab documentation
- Ability to balance multiple tasks of varied importance and make good decisions based on judgement to prioritize tasks
- Familiarity with Virtualization including VMware and the ability to create, manage and distribute virtual computing environments
- Understanding of basic hardware design concepts such as panel layouts, wiring considerations and hardware installation
- Proficient with Wire Shark
- Able to troubleshoot control systems in both the hardware and software sides
- Manages commercially sensitive situations appropriately, has an attitude of prioritizing the customer first
- Rock Star Attitude and passion for work
- Appreciation for team members and an understanding that they would be joining a great group within Commercial Engineering
Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening
Global Sales & Marketing
Corporate, Sales, Services, and Solutions
Mayfield Heights - Ohio, Milwaukee - Wisconsin
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley and Rockwell Software product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence. When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century. You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth and career opportunities. As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at
Download the EEO is the Law poster and the supplement for more information.